Monday, August 03, 2015

Jumping to conclusions

I'm always right!
I must be right.
I should be right.
Am I right?

Sometimes we get so caught up in predicting people's responses (and many times we are spot on) that we jump to conclusions at the sight or hint of the first word(s) in a reply. I must admit that I had committed this crime over the weekend.


I had presumed that I would get a sarcastic and caustic reply for rejecting an invitation yet again. The moment I saw the first 1-2 words on the Whatsapp replies, I didn't bother opening up the message and was getting riled up structuring my would-be response. I left the message unopened for the night and the next half day. I was just pissed off.

What I didn't realise was that the messages were actually harmless. I only found this out when I opened the message and read it. By then I had composed my hostile reply in my mind. But it all became futile in a split second.

I felt so sorry for presuming the worst and judging the said person. Lesson learned, sometimes what you think may not be what the reality is. Chastising the mind to spurn negativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment