Friday, August 07, 2015

The End of a Chapter

Finally, the day has come and gone. Yesterday was my last day. It was like a time bomb and I had full intention of completing my outstanding work but the nature of our typical work day and volume of tasks just didn't allow it. So, reluctantly I had to handover the remaining unfinished business to my colleagues to follow up on.

Can't believe I managed to clear my desk and I can actually see the surface of my desk again!

Thankfully, it wasn't such a teary goodbye. I managed to distract myself most of the time. But it was touching that some of my colleagues (one of which was my former assistant) had personally bought me gifts. My department had bought me a Swarovski pen (apparently to give a cheaper quotation when I become a named company secretary haha).

It was a sad affair saying goodbye through email to colleagues in our building, from top to lower ground floor, from Ipoh to Sarawak and the university campuses. Also informing the external stakeholders from KL to Singapore to Australia. Although my time here has been hard work, it has given me experience in dealing with so many people from quite a few places. And for that, I am thankful.

Between packing, final submission of audited accounts, attending my exit interview and handover briefings, I didn't have enough time to say adieu personally to all the people I had planned to meet. The only person that I had a chance to meet (after working hours) was in the top floor and we had a short chat. Unfortunately most of the people had gone back by then. Perhaps I should have called to check for another person, but I had yet to have my last handover briefing.

And then came the task of clearing my table. This wasn't so emotionally charged as by then, everyone had gone home. I was able to somewhat sort through the papers that I had accumulated throughout the few years. Papers which were references for resolutions, papers on tasks which had been put on hold or aborted, papers on instructions for group-wide changes. So many papers.

The good part of clearing off my papers was that I found a lost resolution for a JV company. I had had multiple nightmares last year when I couldn't find this particular document. And all the while, it had been sitting right behind me under a few draft copies of prospectus. Amazing. And a happy ending.

So at 10.30 p.m., after blood (from paper cuts), sweat (from no air conditioning after 6 p.m. and on weekends) and tears (from previous panic attacks and now, from missing my colleagues), "SM has left the building". My final tag out. And so ends this chapter of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment