Sunday, August 16, 2015

Why I Wanted to Leave

Awhile back when I was serving my notice period, I had lapses of confidence in my decision. Was I making a mistake? Was I being over-sensitive about my situation? It really wasn't that bad after all, right?


As a natural step to validate my decision, I tended to be drawn towards content which explained why people leave their jobs. I actually came across two articles, one on Business Insider and another on Investopedia that listed the main reasons good employees quit and I identified with the points made. I don't mean to imply that I am the greatest employee ever, but I believe that I am a good employee in terms of attitude, principles and drive (a number of testimonies and feedback also helps plead my case).

So in summary, I'll list here the gist of the points made by these two articles which I identified with. It shall also serve as a reminder to myself, in case I encounter any of these in future employers, that I am not over-reacting when I start thinking that it's not worth it anymore. And in case I become an employer, to avoid subjecting my direct reports to these mistakes.


  1. Employers who overwork people - reward for great performance is more work. This can lead to long hours, frustration at contributing more than the rest of the team and burnout. Productivity per hour declines sharply when the workweek exceeds 50 hours. However, raises, promotions and title changes are acceptable ways to increase workload.
  2. Employers who don't recognise contributions and reward good work - many employees leave when there is no upward mobility. Inadequate system of rewards is not going to foster loyalty among employees and encourage them to put in extra hours.
  3. Employers who don't honour their commitments - keeping to promises made proves to the employee that the employer is trustworthy and honorable (important qualities in bosses). When commitments are disregarded, the employer comes across as slimy, uncaring and disrespectful.
  4. Employers who hire and promote the wrong people
  5. Employers who fail to develop people's skills - good managers manage. They pay attention and are constantly listening and giving feedback, finding areas that the employee can improve to expand their skill set. Unclear communication of expectations from a manager can leave both parties frustrated and unhappy.
  6. Employers who fail to engage their creativity - taking away the employee's ability to change and improve things because the status quo is comfortable.



No comments:

Post a Comment