Saturday, February 15, 2014

Nexus Temptation

Looks like I've been hit by the tech cycle itch again and this time my craving is for the Google Nexus 5 android phone. There've been many wonderful phones in the market, like the Samsung S4, Note 3, Sony Xperia Z1, HTC One, Apple iPhone 5 etc... but they were either too popular (to the point that it has become generic), too angular, too plasticky, too expensive... and the list goes on.

Again I will admit that I may care more about the design than what's under the hood. However, it wouldn't hurt if the tech specs were great - that would  be another plus point!

The simple but beautiful Nexus 5 (white version). Image credit from Google search

Another alternative I would consider is the Moto X. Looks good and its basically a Google phone too, since Google had acquired Motorola and produced the Moto X before selling Motorola to Lenovo. The colour customisation thing is cool for now, but I think it may run a little old fashion in the future. Somehow the solid standard colours like black, white or chrome is classic and evergreen.

For those eyeing the Moto X and who live in this part of the world (Malaysia), it would be wise to note that if you do hunt down a Moto X, make sure the model number is XT1058 as the US version would probably not support the 3G and 4G bands available in Malaysia.

Learn from me. Too noob that I only found this out a few days ago - which explains why my HTC Sensation 4G (bought in October 2011) is unable to use our local carrier's 3G and 4G services. Nevermind, learn the hard way (and very slowly!) and the info will stick in my brain.

For reference, our local Malaysian telcos use the following:
  • 2G - GSM 900, GSM 1800
  • 3G - UMTS 2100
  • 4G - LTE Band 3 (1800 MHz), Band 7 (2600 MHz), Band 40 (2300 MHz)
Always look out for the specs supported, especially when considering a US import phone.

Yes, back to the Google Nexus 5. Although the Nexus 5 debuted in late 2013, I've been checking back on it sporadically. With recent renewed fervour, I realised that I could buy the phone during my upcoming trip which renewed the temptation. And like that wasn't enough, suddenly the red version was launched! Omg, temptationsssss!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=C_Kt9P3rYd47MM&tbnid=7bGnx6YL3cwwsM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibtimes.co.uk%2Fred-nexus-5-announced-officially-where-buy-1435156&ei=yE3-Up6lIeOFiQfOn4DAAQ&bvm=bv.61190604,d.aGc&psig=AFQjCNHQu75xHy1Wopo5g7rtljkQ8W4xlg&ust=1392484156145550
Temptation! Red Nexus 5. Image credit from Google search
Again, if you're in this part of the world, make sure that you get the Nexus 5 D821 model which is the international version. The US version, D820 will probably have the compatibility issue mentioned above.

After reading a couple of reviews, they all basically point out the same pros and cons. The price is a big pro, along with the stock Android KitKat OS and the processor. Whereas the cons are the camera and screen. My main usage would probably be just surfing the web, IM-ing, FB-ing, digital organiser and taking/editing photos, besides calls and text messaging. So I figured, yeah, this could be a good buy - balancing budget and functionality! And I kind of promised myself that once I get a proper working smartphone (with working 3G and LTE functions), I'll subscribe a postpaid data plan.

Yes, I'm trying to justify why I should buy it.

I haven't decided yet. Probably won't because of budget planning issues.

But... but... It's so pretty!!!! *cries and runs away*

No comments:

Post a Comment