Friday, April 30, 2010

Ha ha *snort*

On the way to work, I drive past Damansara Uptown and for the past week I've been noticing a bunting on the street lamp posts. It was about a new real estate development and there was a word in it which caught my eye - "Lohas." When I first read it, I remembered seeing it on an organic food shop/restaurant in Damansara Uptown (it's just down the road from Old Town Kopitiam). The shop name was "Be Lohas". I've never been inside before (as I've not reached that maturity where I need to constantly worry about where my food is sourced from). Anyway, all this time I thought the word "Lohas" was from some kind of South Asian language, maybe in Urdu or Sanskrit or something... you know, maybe it had similar origins as the word "karma"... haha... you'd never know in these days of 'zen' and 'feng shui' and 'ayurveda' and dot dot dots... (so don't blame me for my ignorance!)

Well, I just Google-d it (Lohas) and the answer is:





LOHAS




  1. Lifestyles of Health and Sustainability (LOHAS) is a demographic defining a particular market segment related to sustainable living, "green ...
(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOHAS)
When I read it, I was laughing my a** off! This just proves the human mind is "omni-problematic" (term borrowed from Rev Dr David Wang). It was a simple modern-day abbreviation and I just HAD to assume the word had an origin which dated back to the time before paper was invented (picturing this in my mind) . Kudos SM over your over-imaginative mind! Now you just look silly! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment