Wednesday, January 02, 2019

The year that was - 2018

I'm not a goal setting kind of person and I did not set any for last year. But in the course of events that unfolded, 2018 has been a challenging year (in a good way mostly).

Year ends and beginnings are a good time to take stock of the achievements and notable events of the year that was. And here's my list, to jog my memory many years down the road, when I re-read this and wonder why I considered 2018 a challenging year.

  1. A sudden resignation tossed me into a leadership role. It was a struggle to step up, but constant reassurance and encouragement from Senior Management and colleagues in our holding company was a good motivator. 
  2. First promotion in my working life (promotion between jobs not counted). The process was an experience. Perhaps I may have had an unfair advantage in that the promotion interview was with members of the Senior Management, which I deal closely with.
  3. Appointed as named Company Secretary. I've been qualified for quite some years but it was never necessary to use my licence till this year.
  4. First time recruiting a shared direct report. I admit I need to work on this area, especially in judging character beyond first impressions. But it wasn't all bad, I do recognise that she tries to improve but perhaps my expectations may be set a bit too high. I always find it tricky to separate social and work interactions.
  5. First time being the lead planner for an overseas trip, and alone with mom. It was an impromptu trip, booked just two weeks before departure and planned within that few days. We went to Japan (Fukuoka, Tokyo, Hakone). Mom enjoyed the trip overall but she had a fall when we reached Hakone. An ambulance took us to a hospital in Gotemba for suturing. It was an experience I would never forget but I am thankful that Japanese people are so helpful to tourists and their healthcare system is so efficient. The shock didn't hit me until we were halfway to the hospital in the ambulance. The paramedic tried to distract me by telling me he had climbed Mount KK a few years back. I'm also thankful that I had CY to reach out to and family contact through WhatsApp to support us in prayers.
  6. First time not having to negotiate money matters (given what I wanted), which occurred twice this year.
  7. Personal whirlwind experience where the checkboxes seemed to be all ticked, but when it came to face to face my gut feel overruled.
  8. First time being told I am ambitious, twice by totally different people. I never thought I was ambitious, I mean, among my friends I can say that I am one of the average or below average ones in terms of ambitiousness. So it was a surprise hearing this. The first person who said this meant it in a positive context, but the second person was more of unsure puzzlement.
  9. Found out Zack has a weak heart.
  10. Met a person with an OTT personality which I am still figuring out if I can cope with it as an amusement or getting to be annoying. But I still maintain that we shouldn't burn bridges, civility is always important, but to what varying levels is the question.
  11. First time drove long distance to Terengganu and not really feeling as tired as someone had been hoo-ha-ing over.
  12. First time leading the risk reporting to the holding company and presenting risk reports to internal committees.
  13. Successfully managing expectations of holding company's MD and other members of their senior management. That was one heart arresting one-liner email I received and I was practically treading on ice requesting favours from the big bosses to review my proposal last minute. And all this occurred when my direct boss was on business trip. End of the day I got what I wanted and Board approval was obtained without much questions thereafter.
  14. Networking and increasing my circle of influence. When you start talking to the bosses, they start sharing personal stuff and this enhances the bond.
  15. Had my first 'accident' with my new car. This was plain kiasuness of some kid (I didn't bother looking at who the driver was) who thought that cutting the line in the carpark is alright. I stood my ground and a scrape happened, I thought I'd have to respray my car (I felt it was worth it at that time) but when I got home, it was just a scrape on my tyre rim which was only noticeable if you look for it.
  16. The curious experience of not looking out but being offered what I wanted / planned to do in 2019 and how it all somehow came full circle within my network. Like it was meant to be.
  17. Being told for at least the third time now that I should take up law. Not to practice but to be an added value. I think I will start to look into the viability of this in 2019 - do up my Excel comparison sheets and pros/cons list.
  18. Almost committing to buying my own property. Thankfully I did not at that time, looking at where things are heading after that period of time.
  19. First time going for a full-body massage.
  20. First time in an onsen with someone else in it (the last trip to Japan, my friends and I planned it out so that we took turns to go in and not see each other in our birthday suits).
So that sums up what I can remember of 2018 (at this wee hours in the morning). I take it that as long as I can remember these events in my sleepy mind now, means it was something to remember.

I am excited for what 2019 will bring. I am positive about the challenges and changes I will go through, and am hopeful it will be a fruitful year on the professional and personal levels. Happy New Year 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment