Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Reading the Word

I don't know if it is coincidence or not, but I find that sometimes when I read the Bible for different reasons (such as for WBS lesson, during service/celebration or when using Bible reading guide), the topics seem to overlap (unplanned). For example, when I've had a bad experience with someone, verses of forgiveness seem to jump out at me from the Bible study materials or the reference verses quoted, and all these are from totally unrelated sources! Is this how God is speaking to me?

Moving to another topic, yesterday I found an interesting part of the Bible - a talking donkey! In Numbers 22:28-30, Yahweh enabled Balaam's donkey to speak. God was angry when Balaam followed Balak's princes back and He put an angel with a drawn sword to block Balaam's path. The donkey was able to see the angel, but not Balaam. So she (donkey) turned away from the path and Balaam beat her. The second time she saw the angel in a narrow path, she pressed close to the wall, crushing Balaam's foot, and he beat her again. The third time the angel appeared, she could not turn anywhere so she lay down under Balaam, and he beat her the third time. Then God gave her speech and she chastised her owner for beating her three times. After that, God opened Balaam's eyes and he saw the angel standing in the road with his sword drawn. Balaam bowed and fell face forward.


Now, on to another topic altogether, I remember one of the prayer items at the Saturday celebration 2 weeks ago (2/10) was to pray for the wellbeing and rescue of the 33 Chilean miners who had been trapped more than 600m underground for 8 weeks (then). The church prayed corporately during the Saturday evening and Sunday morning celebrations. Last Wednesday (6/10), I read on BBC.co.uk that there was a breakthrough in the miners' rescue and the rescue could start by the weekend! Well, the miners rescue did not actually start on the recent weekend but now, I'm watching live on CNN the second miner being winched up in a capsule! I just saw the rescue of the first miner a few minutes ago! Praise the Lord! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment