Sunday, October 03, 2010

I Should Use What I've Learned

Since I live in this country and I've been educated in the national language (for two thirds of my formal education), maybe I should try writing a post in BM... After all, isn't the national language supposed to be a means of bringing the peoples of different colour and creed together? Funny how all this while I've been a pro-English language person (as in I support 100% the teaching of maths and science in English, just because I used to feel that it was a better language as a whole), I still am, but with the recent sensitive issues being raised from time to time and my re-education of the importance of BM by certain Christian friends and especially during 'celebration', I've come to realise that although I may not speak it at home daily, a large chunk of my fellow Malaysian brothers and sisters (especially in East Malaysia) use BM as their main and sometimes, only language for communication.

So, yeah, I don't think I should let my grasp of the language deteriorate (although my verbal ability has lessened significantly). I mean, I'm a Chinese (or well, technically - half Chinese) and I used to get As for my BM essays and I've never once memorised example essays from reference books (like most Chinese vernacular schools teach their students in order to score in their BM papers). So I think if I set my mind to it, I can re-learn to love this language again.
Saya percaya saya dapat menghayati semula keindahan Bahasa Melayu! (Penggunaan perkataan 'saya' adalah sebagai tanda hormat kepada para pembaca, yang pertama kali dapat menatap ayat Bahasa Melayu di blog ini)
Don't laugh, I'm trying very hard to rekindle the spark! :ϸ

No comments:

Post a Comment