Thursday, April 19, 2007

Transposons!

a couple of minutes ago, i just found out that transposons are responsible for the multi-coloured corn kernels (black, yellow, red etc) on some corn cobs (especially indian corn)!!! for a biochemistry student, it's pretty sad that i only know this 2 days before my final exam... and this i found out on the web, not through my lecturer's notes (which induced a panic attack in me 2 days ago... i don't know why, but the more i read them the more confused i become)

anyway, i had my first finals paper yesterday (toxicology to be precise)... i thought i did ok till we started discussing the answers after the exam... and i'm pretty sure i've lost 30 marks or so... hopefully i can get better than C for this paper as i really did memorize alot (and actually enjoyed studying) for this subject... my problem was not reading the question properly and hastily answering it... i didn't have time to think my answers through... all my thoughts just went straight from my brain to my pen via action potentials transmitted through my neurons with nitric oxide as neurotransmitter in my brain synapse and acetylcholine as neurotransmitter in the neuromuscular junction. an action potential along the axon of the presynaptic neuron stimulates the influx of calcium ions which then causes the release of acetylcholine into the synapse and stimulates the nicotinic cholinergic ionic channel receptors which causes an EPSP and as a result muscle contraction occurs. probably half of that is inaccurate, but that's just a taste of what i had to come up with in my exam... the best part was that i started to memorize the lipid peroxidation pathway for linolenic acid at 9 a.m. and that question came out in our 11.30 a.m. paper! Thank God i memorized that! (and actually could remember it during the exam!) i need supplements for my brain... i think i'm extraordinarily "nyanyuk" (forgetful) for my age...

No comments:

Post a Comment